Halloween is in the air!!! I love the cooler weather and excitement that accompanies this fun time of year. I also love a good scare – but I do not love the potential cavity-scare that comes from all the candy! So here are some good tips to keep in mind to keep candy damage to a minimum.
- Sugar-free candy & gum with Xylitol – Bacteria that attack teeth feed on sugar! Gum and candy that are sugar free are a good choice. Those containing Xylitol may actually protect teeth by reducing acid produced by bacteria and increasing saliva to rinse away acid and sugar.
- Powdery Candy (sugar straws) – While it is packed with sugar, it dissolves quickly and doesn’t stick to teeth.
- Chocolate – Chocolate dissolves quickly and can be eaten easily, which decreases the amount of time sugar stays in contact with teeth. The calcium can actually help protect tooth enamel. However, chocolate with fillings such as caramel or nuts can be harmful to teeth.
- Hard Candy (suckers or mints) – Hard candy is tough on teeth because it tends to be sucked on at a leisurely pace, increasing the time sugar stays on teeth. Chomping down on hard candy can chip or break teeth.
- Chewy Candy (caramels or gummies) – Chewy, sticky treats are particularly damaging because they are high in sugar, get stuck to teeth and are difficult for saliva to break down – prolonging time sugar is on the teeth.
Whatever treats your child chooses having them brush extra well on Halloween night will help minimize the cavity-scare!
Dr. Mai Luk