Whether it’s your firstborn dealing with teething discomfort or your fourth child, the process of growing in baby teeth can prove to be quite the ordeal. Some children suffer from serious discomfort along the gums while others experience almost no pain at all. Every baby is different, but if you’re currently trying to help your little one with their teething pain, it can help to find fast relief.
If your child’s pain does not seem to subside, or it’s time for a dental checkup, then it’s important to find the right pediatric dental specialists for the job. Alligator Dental specializes in pediatric dentistry in Cibolo, Seguin, and San Marcos, and we’re confident that we can create a fun and exciting experience for your little one. Our team focuses on each child’s comfort to help foster a positive association with going to the dentist.
Today, we’ll highlight a few tips to help soothe your little one’s gums, as well as some safety advice to help along the way. Ready to learn more about our pediatric dentists? Check out our FAQ page before contacting us today!
Ways to Help
We understand how frustrating it can be to comfort a child dealing with a tooth eruption. Your baby won’t stop crying, and you may feel helpless. Luckily, there are a few safe methods available to improve the situation! Many parents (and their child) find relief through:
- Chewing toys — Many options are available to relieve gum pain, including safe, chewable toys. These can include teething rings, food-shaped toys, and more. Be sure to check that your toy is BPA-free!
- Massage efforts — You can clean your finger or utilize a clean piece of gauze or cloth to gently massage your baby’s painful gums. Be sure to watch out if your little one decides to bite down!
- Cold surfaces — Are the previous two options not helping? You can elect to put your teething toy in the refrigerator or cover a clean washcloth in cold water.
- Soft foods — If your little one is old enough to eat foods, then we recommend yogurt, applesauce, or some other puree to provide relief.
Keep Your Baby Safe!
You want to keep your little one safe, and when it comes to proper oral care, there are a few suggestions to help reduce your anxiety throughout the process. Alligator Dental is committed to fun, but we also want to ensure that your child benefits from the healthiest teething habits!
Here are a few of our suggestions to maximize your confidence and your little one’s safety. As always, our pediatric dentists are here to help if you have questions!
- Over-the-counter gels — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an alert to parents and caregivers caring for children with teething pain. Creams, gels, and ointments containing benzocaine and other similar anesthetics are effective at reducing pain, but can also disrupt the blood’s ability to carry oxygen. Referred to as methemoglobinemia, this condition can prove to be very dangerous!
- Teething jewelry — While handy and effective, the FDA is now warning parents against the use of teething necklaces, as there is a risk of strangulation and choking.
- Correct sizing — If you plan on giving your little one a teething device, then make sure that it does not have any small or breakable pieces that can become choking hazards.
- Proper research — There are many devices available to help your child find comfort from pain. Be sure to look for products that are free of toxins and chemicals, and also check the reviews for any parental concerns!
When Should My Child Visit the Dentist?
The American Dental Association recommends that parents schedule an appointment with their pediatric dentist by 12 months of age or within the first six months after a tooth erupts. This first checkup will help to establish a baseline for your little one’s oral health, as well as give your family an opportunity to learn more about the care provided by your pediatric dental specialist.
Alligator Dental of Texas is here to set the stage for a lifelong excitement about healthy smiles, starting with your child’s first visit. Our family dentists will build trust and familiarity with your little one, taking the time to explain our care in very comforting terms. The first appointment will also provide an ideal time for our pediatric dentists to educate you, as the parent, on how to provide the best care.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
For years, Alligator Dental has served families in need in Seguin and San Marcos, and we’re excited about the opening of our pediatric dental office in Cibolo! We strive to make going to the dentist fun by relying on our movie theater room, arcade, toddler play area, and more to build excitement about proper oral health.