When searching for a dentist in Seguin, you may wonder if it is really necessary to take your child to a pediatric dentist versus someone who provides general dentistry. A typical dentist will likely provide the basic services that your child needs, however, the dentist may not be skilled in all areas of pediatric dental care. So, what exactly does a pediatric dentist do? We are glad you asked! In today’s post, we’ll review the most common types of dental care provided by a children’s dentist, including routine, preventative, restorative, and emergency dental care.
Alligator Dental is a leading pediatric dentist in Seguin and our helpful staff is here to provide fun, friendly, and effective dental care for your children. Contact a member of our team today to learn more, or schedule your child’s appointment online now!
Pediatric Dental Care Services
Routine Dental Care
A large part of what a pediatric dentist does falls under the umbrella of routine dental care. These are treatments that are completed either on a regular basis to maintain optimal oral health for patients, including:
- Exams and x-rays. Oral exams are essential for spotting potential dental health concerns and treating them before they become major problems. Your child’s dentist will take x-rays periodically so that he or she can document any major changes going on below the gumline.
- Cleanings. During a routine dental cleaning, the dentist will remove plaque from the surfaces of your child’s teeth. He or she will also floss between your child’s teeth and may take the opportunity to complete a fluoride treatment to strengthen the enamel of teeth.
- Patient education. An important part of routine children’s dental care is the patient education that the dentist provides. He or she can demonstrate proper brushing, flossing, and other oral hygiene techniques, giving your child a visual example of typical at-home hygiene tasks.
In addition to x-rays, cleanings, and patient education, children’s dentists also provide high-quality preventative care treatments. Examples of preventative pediatric dental care include:
- Mouthguards. If your child plays sports, the dentist may recommend the use of a mouthguard to protect teeth and gums from injury. These can be made for your child in the dental office.
- Nightguards. Many children experience earaches, jaw pain, and headaches that can be caused by teeth grinding (bruxism). Your child’s dentist may recommend the use of a nightguard to prevent broken, cracked, and worn teeth.
- Dental sealants. Many times, children have a difficult time thoroughly brushing their teeth, especially the molars in the back. Dental sealants provide a protective layer over teeth, protecting them from decay.
These are just a few of the preventative dental treatments that are often provided by children’s dentists. If you are in need of a dentist in Seguin who provides routine cleanings and preventative dental care, look no further than Alligator Dental. Call today to schedule an appointment.
If your child has trouble with cavities, tooth spacing, or other functional and aesthetic concerns, finding a children’s dentist that specializes in restorative care is essential to your child’s dental health. Restorative care is a specialized practice area, and some of the treatments include:
- Bonding. A conservative treatment for teeth that have minor chips, discoloration, or poor alignment.
- Crowns. An innovative and long-lasting treatment for restoring large cavities on primary teeth.
- Fillings. A common treatment that is designed to restore teeth affected by cavities, often completed with tooth-colored composite resins.
Aside from routine dental care, preventative care, and restorative care, many pediatric dentists offer a wide variety of emergency dental care services. Because trips, falls, and other accidents can happen at any time of the day, your dentist may offer special hours for emergency cases in which the following issues can be addressed:
- Broken baby teeth. Superficial fractures can sometimes be repaired with cosmetic bonding. Severe fractures may require root canal treatment or extraction.
- Abscesses. These uncomfortable conditions are caused by an infected tooth and may require antibiotics and extraction.
- Toothaches. Children can experience toothaches for a wide variety of reasons, and a quick call to the dentist will determine if emergency dental care is warranted.
- Extractions. Your child’s dentist may recommend the removal of one or several teeth in instances of crowding, infection, or fracture.
Experienced Pediatric Dentist in Seguin
Are you in need of a children’s dentist in Seguin who provides a wide variety of dental care services? Look no further than Alligator Dental! We gladly provide general dentistry, preventative and restorative treatments, as well as emergency dental care. For patients who are experiencing a dental emergency, we offer convenient early bird appointments between 7:30am and 10:00am Monday through Friday. Our friendly team is committed to your providing your child with a lasting foundation for optimal dental health, and we look forward to meeting you. Call us at 830-372-3725 today!